The Magic of Photoshop

Hello everyone, thank you for visiting my blog!

Today I want to talk about, in my opinion, the most valuable, amazing program out there ... Adobe's Photoshop

Photoshop was released by Adobe Systems for the Macintosh computer in October 1988 (according to Wikipedia). It is over 20 years old and getting better with every new release! As an early user of Adobe products for the PC, I can attest to the immense power this program has.

I have likely used Photoshop for every design project I have worked on.

My most recent endeavor was to create a brochure for a local event hosted by the Insurance Club of Buffalo. It is an annual event that brings members together for the day to participate in seminars and discussions important to their industry. The theme this year highlighted the career and success of Chris Berman, award-winning ESPN anchor and avid sports enthusiast.

To communicate the purpose of the event and acknowledge the special guest, I had to combine and create the custom image shown below. This is where the magic of Photoshop comes in.




The cover image now illustrates a locker with a jersey (name and number) of the guest speaker, Chris Berman, along with a football helmet placed on the shelf. The two images to the right are the original files I worked with to create this custom locker scene. I had to remove the existing number on the jersey and create a new number and name (which the client wanted to be almost completely visible and still look like it was hanging in a locker).

I then had to take a football helmet from the image above, remove the background by drawing a path around it, add a logo to the side, and then place on the locker shelf in the correct perspective. (I must note that it is important to find images that are close to the same perspective as what you are working with.. it's much easier that way).

All of the imagery, headlines, graphics and backgrounds were created in Photoshop. I then placed them into InDesign (another great program) and entered the text and other elements. As a result, we were able to incorporate the football theme which directly associates with the guest speaker, and emphasize the purpose of the event.

I would not have been able to achieve this result without the use of Photoshop. It is truly magical.